I was excited to finish all of my sculpture projects from Fall semester. The class seemed to fly by so that I felt like I did all of the projects in the time span of about a week. It got a little crazy but I'm pretty happy with the outcomes and I feel more confident in all of the art forms.
So this is what my stone looked like at the beginning. It was rough and big, weighing about 35 pounds. During and outside of class I would go and sit and chisel away at my stone while listening to pandora. It was pretty cool. I am even more impressed now with awesome marble sculptures by Michelangelo because let me tell you...it ain't easy.
safety first!
Here's how it turned out after it had been sanded, smoothed and polished. I wish I had had a little more time to work on it because I feel like it might not be completely finished, but thus is the life of a busy student. It looks different at all different angles, which is kind of cool.
The stone itself had some really pretty colors in it.
This is how my steel project turned out. Not going to lie, I was really nervous for this one because the requirements were welding and forging. If you're not familiar with either method, I'll just say that they both involve extremely hot temperatures and danger...especially welding. Once I got going with the welder though it wasn't too bad. I'm really happy how it turned out! It looks totally different from all angles, which is awesome. I was influenced by some of my work I had done for my printmaking class and I wanted to try to use some of the ideas I was using before and creating it in 3-D.
I LOVE how my bronze turned out. It is such an interesting process to cast a bronze as well. I loved learning about the process and getting to actually do it.
First of all, I made a wax figure of the object that I wanted to be cast. Then I attached it to multiple sprews of wax to a cup covered in wax. Then we dipped it in a slurry and sand 9 times with 6 hours in between each dipping. After that, we put them in a kiln that melted away all of the wax and poured 2,000 degree liquid bronze into the casts to fill in where the wax was. After cooling for a day, we chipped off the cast and there was the bronze statue. We had to cut and grind off the sprews and then I put a liver of sulfur patina on it to give it the rich dark brown color.
Now Max has been immortalized. Pretty cool.





Again, VERY cool!
ReplyDeletelove love love
ReplyDelete