Friday, June 7, 2013

Week 2







Hello dear family!!!
 
Thanks so much for all of the letters and emails. They seriously are the best. Keep the dear elders coming because I love to read them at the end of the day before I go to bed. The days are super long here, but the weeks seem to go quickly. Here is what happened this week:
 
On Friday we went to the temple and it was great. I love it there. I could feel the love and excitement of people on the other side of the veil for the people that I will be teaching. It was a tender mercy to feel that. Then after p-day had ended that night we taught our first investigator in Korean...it went well given the circumstances of my companions and I not actually being able to speak Korean. We basically went in there and read off some sentences that we had and I'm not sure if the person could understand us at all, but hey we did it! On Saturday we taught Yoo Song Jin again and it was so great. We prepared really hard and tried to improve our teaching by asking him more questions and we taught him about prayer and how to pray and we got him to commit to pray to heavenly father everyday and he prayed at the end of the lesson. (btw this investigator is really an actor that is going to turn into one of our teachers eventually). After our lesson we all were literally so happy and on a spiritual high because we understood what it felt like to really have the spirit there in a lesson with us. It was a great feeling. I still am really enjoying working with my companions. They are super funny and we get along well. We help to break up the stress by laughing and remembering that we are learning. And I really enjoy my district. They are some funny guys. We're trying to get them to participate more in class, so hopefully they will.
 
Sundays are the best! It was fast Sunday so we had mission conference and the speakers were great. We talked about how God created man in his image and likeness. we both look like God and we can have the same attributes as god. We also talked about making sure that you as a missionary are converted before you can convert other people. We had testimony meeting with our zone in Korean. It was cool to hear the sacrament prayers in Korean. Then we sang in the choir, which is a cool experience. Apparently there is a big conference with all of the general authorities training new mission presidents that we get to sing at so I'm excited about that. We went on a temple walk with the district so I'll try to attach some pictures. We had a really cool devotional that night where a man basically acted out that he was Brother Richards who was joseph smith's secretary and he was in the room when the prophet was killed. it was incredible to hear that story and then sing praise to the man after. I am amazed by all of the sacrifices made by the early saints. Then we watched Legacy which was great because who doesn't love legacy?!
 
Monday felt frustrating because I just wish I could speak the language to express myself to investigators. Especially since I could think of my responses in 2 languages but neither of them were in Korean. But I received a bunch of mail that night that helped to make me feel better and I know that the language will come with more time and practice. I've already learned so much. I've learned to pray and to make basic sentences in present, past and future. I've learned how to count and I know how to read. I'm working on memorizing 5 vocab words a day becuase that's what is the hardest. Once I have vocabulary I can form sentences and say what I want and understand people.
 
Tuesday nights we have a devotional and it was way cool. Elder Callister of the Seventy came and talked about how the LDS church is the only church on the earth that matches the blueprint of Christ's church from the New Testament exactly. He gave a lot of  scriptural examples and it was cool to see how the church follow's Christ's church.
 
This week in class we've been focusing on teaching the doctrine of Christ and how that will bring someone closer to God. I really enjoy our class discussions and my teacher, Brother Madsen. He's really good at bringing the spirit to class. He still mainly talks to us in Korean, but i am learning a lot from being immersed in the language. On Thursday I saw Sister Anderson!!!! I was praying that I would get to see her because everyone's schedules are different, but I saw her when we were taking a break outside. It was so good to see her and give her a big hug. She seemed good. she seemed a little overwhelmed, but she looked happy and she is in a trio as well. Hopefully I will see her some more.
 
I'm glad that everything is going well for all of you. Again, I really appreciated the letters so keep them coming ^^ (that's a smiley face in korean) I am sooo excited to go to Korea and teach them the gospel so that they can receive all of the incredible blessings that the Lord has ready for them. I feel blessed and honored to be given that responsibility. Way to go for reading the BOM!! That's one of my favorite things here is that I have the time to really study the scriptures and think about how they apply to me and just learn more about my Savior. So keep it up! I would also recommend, especially Matthew, that you read Preach My Gospel. Presdient Packer said that PMG is a book that was put together on the other side of the veil and that prophet and apostles assembled it here on earth. It's awsome so I would recommend that.
 
I love you all so much and appreciate the love, support and prayers. You all are in my prayer as well.
 
ps I feel like my cardreader doesn't work or something because I can't attach pictures...I'll try to figure it out.
 
Love,
Livingston Chamae

No comments:

Post a Comment