Monday, August 5, 2013

Week 10


My district and teachers




I saw Palmer!!


I saw Palmer!!



Me with sister Bell in Korea!! I haven't had time to take many pictures here yet, but I will and I'll send them to you!!



Hey family!!

Wow! A lot sure has happened in the past week! I still can't believe that I am in Korea. Sometimes I forget but then I am quickly reminded when I try to talk to someone and I can't understand anything that they say. Luckily I have an awesome companion and she translates everything for me. But let me start at the beginning of the week and I'll try to tell you all that has happened. 

Monday morning at 1:00 we woke up and left for the airport. It was great talking to you all! I love and miss you all, but was happy to hear that everything is going well for all of you. So on my flight to Korea from San Fran I was sitting next to a Korean man and woman. When the woman got out of her seat at one point the man noticed my name tag and he knew that I was from the mormon church. He said that the mormon religion is really nice because it is a very clean religion. (He could speak English). I tried to talk to him a little about it and tell him that I was going to Daejeon to serve a mission. He was super funny. He had been drinking a lot of wine and he was an example of how Koreans don't really believe in personal space. He was telling me what kind of blood type he thought I was (AA or AO) because I was quiet, humble and brilliant. He told me that my Korean was really good and he also said that I had a mona lisa smile because it is kind of secretive. It was a super funny experience. He gave me his business card to contact him in Korea. Then he told me to rest for 2 hours and we would talk again about another topic. I said okay and he switched seats with the woman again. But he never switched back so we didn't continue our conversation again. It was a funny/great way to start my experience in Korea haha.

 We arrived in Korea at about 4:00 in the evening and 2 missionaries were at the airport to pick us up. President Shin and his wife were at a conference. We took a bus for about 3 hours to get to the mission home. They had some pizza for us at the church building that we ate and then we slept at the mission home. We had training on Wednesday from the AP's and the president. President Shin is expecting us to work really hard. He told us that he is going to drive us hard. All of the new missionaries went to lunch together. It was super duper delicious. We all sat on the floor at a little table and ate really delicious meat and the lettuce wraps and all of the side dishes with rice. It was soooo good!! After we had more training and then we did a proselyting activity with other missionaries in the area. I went with Sister Knapp and we just started talking to people on the street and introducing ourselves as missionaries. We gave away one Book of Mormon and got the girl's phone number. So that was exciting. That night we had a testimony meeting, which was really great. 

Then on Thursday we went to the immigration office and then we met our trainers and were off! My trainer is Sister Bell. She is awesome! She is from Idaho. She has been on her mission for about 10 months. I really like her. We only have one investigator right now so we are spending most of our time trying to find people to teach. We have been doing a lot of street contacting and things like that. Let me just say that I have never sweated so much in my life since being here. It is sooooo hot and humid here. It is out of control. I pretty much am always just wet because it is so humid. But I've just accepted it and it's fine :) Also there are crazy rain storms randomly so you're pretty much just wet no matter what. On Friday we taught Jun Jee Hey. We teach her english for 30 minutes and then the gospel for 30 minutes. She is great and the gospel is so perfect for her. We really want her to come to church, so hpoefully she will. She says she wants an answer from God before she goes, so we're praying that she will get an answer from reading the bom and praying. On Saturday we visited some less actives and we went to the English class that the missionaries teach. Some ward members invited us to go to dinner with them, which was fun. On Sunday we welcomed people as the came into church and the testimony meeting was really great. I bore my testimony and briefly introduced myself. We are working hard to gain the trust of the ward members so that they will refer their friends to us. 

I'm emailing you from Caffe bene, which is like a starbucks. Life is good! We are just trying really hard to find people to teach. I am in the Daejeon area and the Samsung ward. It's the ward that the mission home is in, so President and Sister Shin and 6 other missionaries are in my ward. This area has a reputation of being hard, but Sister Bell and I are going to change that. We are determined to have success :) 

I love you all!!! Thanks for the love and support!! I'm excited to tell you more about everything as time goes on. Hope you all have a great rest of your summer! Have fun with MArk Brown! Happy birthday Dad on the 8th!! I'll be thinking of you!! I'll eat some ice cream in your honor because it's really delicious :)

Love,
Sister Livingston

No comments:

Post a Comment