Sunday, November 3, 2013

Week 23


Our English advertisement picture


heart attacking!



Sister Park and I with the cupcakes we made!




Hello family!!!
 
Sounds like you all had a great Halloween! I got the halloween package in the mail this week, so it was perfect timing! Thank you so much for sending it. Sorry the postage is so expensive. Halloween isn't really celebrated here in Korea. It is definitely an American holiday. My companion and I decided that we wanted to share some of the halloween love this week though so we went and heartattacked a lot of the members with candy and pumpkins and ghosts cut out of paper. It was fun :) And it was good to get a feel for the area more by seeing where all of the members live. We also made the cupcakes and gave those to some people and they were all excited when we told them that my family sent the mix from America. They all said that it was very delicious, so we have the approval of the Korean people...yay!
 
Let's see...so in my new area we have a few investigators that I got to meet this week. First of all is Sister Jo un jeong. She is in her 40s and she has been meeting with the missionaries for a long time now...like over a year. She has had the lessons at least twice now I think. She is a super nice woman. She is an artist, so she was really excited to hear that I am studying art. I got to see some pictures of her artwork and she is really good! She paints and her favorite thing to paint is poppies. She wants to see some of my artwork so that's fun. It was cool when we met because she said that it's really hard for her when the missionaries get transferred, but since I came and am an artist she can see that it is God's will for us to meet :) I worry that she hasn't really been progressing in the gospel, that she just likes meeting with the missionaries and talking to us so Sister Park and I really want to help her to progress and come closer to Christ. She really likes our church and how she feels when she meets with us, it's just up to her to actually do something about it now. We met with her twice. Once on Wednesday and on Saturday. On wednesday Sister Shin (mission president's wife) came to our lesson just all of the sudden, so that was kind of stressful, but it turned out just fine.
 
We met two new investigators this week. The 14 year old that we met last week we met again this week, but at her house, so we also met her mom. She wants to study english, but they said that it would be fine for us to teach them about our church. I just pray that as we teach them they will feel the spirit and realize that this is what they want!!!! The girls name is jeong so jeong and her mom is heo jeong dan, so keep them in your prayers. We are going to start meeting them twice a week at their home. The mom was so nice and sent us home with a huge bag of kimchi and fruit. It was funny walking home. I had one of those moments where I thought about what I was actually doing and just felt the confirmation that I know I am where I am supposed to be. Walking the streets of Korea with my Korean companion teaching people about the gospel in Korean and carrying a huge bag of kimchi...how cool is that?! I am seriously so grateful for this opportunity to be a missionary for the Lord in Korea. I would have never guessed that this is what I was supposed to do, but here I am and it has been such a blessing!
 
Saturday night we met a girl who called to learn english, but she was fine with us teaching about our church as well. She is a cutie!! her name is sor ji he. Her and Sister Park were talking up a storm and I would just sit and smile and laugh when they laughed because most of the time I had no idea what was going on. They were talking so fast! But it was good. She can only meet every 2 weeks though so that's too bad. She is working and her schedule is kind of weird, but I really think she can progress in the gospel quickly if we show her how applicable it is to her. So hopefully we will be able to meet with her again next week.
 
We are still looking for new investigators to teach so we have been doing a lot of just talking to people on the street and going door to door trying to teach people. Please pray that we will be able to find more people to teach that are intersted in the gospel. It has been fun to have Sister Park as a companion and to cook with her. We have been eating a lot of rice and kimchi and we made curry the other day. It has been a definite adjustment to have a Korean companion though because she can understand everything and respond to everything whereas I don't understand everything and I can only really talk about the gospel. so we need to learn how to teach together. This transfer I am learning a lot about patience and I am just trying to be really understanding and loving.
 
I really like this ward. They are super kind to us and to one another. There is a lot of unity in this ward. We have already been invited over for food 3 times, so the people are very generous and kind here. The weather has been getting chilly here. I've sported my coat a few times already. This week we had zone conference and it was super good! It was just what I needed to hear. President Shin's focus for us is called BRT122 Chain, which means that every companionship has the goal of 1 baptism per transfer and 2 referrals per day and 2 hours of teacher per day. And the chain means that as we baptize one person, they refer their friends and then they refer their friends and so forth to creat a long chain of converts. So that's what we are trying to do! Unfortunately I couldn't go back for Sister Heo's baptism but she should have been baptized yesterday!!! yay for her!
 
I love you all!! Thank you for your love and prayers! You all are the best!!!
 
 Love,
Sister Livingston

No comments:

Post a Comment