Saturday, October 8, 2011

Ávila

I'm back!! So I just got back from our weekend trip and it was great as always, but went by so quickly! First stop was Ávila, which is about 1 1/2 hours away from home. When we got there, it was surprisingly cold, but we all managed. Ávila is a super small town that is surrounded by a muralla or huge wall. It was cool because we had been learning a little bit about some buildings in Ávila and just the Arte Romanico, which is the style of art we saw throughout the trip. It helped us to study as we pointed out all the aspects of the architecture we had learned. Living your learning is the best way to do it :)

Here's Leigh and I in La Plaza Mayor there:


Then we went to La Iglesia de Santa Teresa. It was pretty cool to see. Here's a statue of Teresa herself in the church:


Emily and I were just so excited to be there:


Lexy and I loved the views:


Here's an example of the muralla that surrounds the city...pretty cool right?


Kiersten and I with a beautiful view behind us:


Enjoying all of the cool sculptures:


Then we got to climb to the top of the wall and see the city from there...pretty sweet!


I felt like I was in another time.


I just LOVE the rooftops here! Lets get some of this style in the US.



We stopped at another viewpoint before leaving Ávila and there was this man painting the city. I love seeing people do that number one because it is just awesome to see people being creative and number two it always reminds me of MK&A in Passport to Paris :)


Some of the group in front of the view of the city:


Overall, it was a great two hours in Ávila. I thought that it was a super cute city and I really enjoyed our tour guide. We also tried yemas, which are a famous treat in Ávila. They are an egg yolk covered in sugar, basically. I thought it was actually good despite it being a strange concept. Looking back it's crazy all that we did on Friday, because we only spent a little time in Ávila before driving another hour and a half to Salamanca.

No comments:

Post a Comment