Friday afternoon I went to Madrid with some friends from the group to see some things that I still had on my list that I wanted to visit. Here is me with another view of the Palacio. These are some gardens that are on the side of the palace. I remember visiting them with Jessie.
Leigh and I were trying to walk to El Parque del Oeste, but we actually ended up at Casa de Campo, which was something that we wanted to see, so it all worked out in the end. But here I am on the bridge leading to Casa de Campo, which is another huge park in Madrid.
We figured out how to get to Parque del Oeste and you have to walk up a bunch of steps because it is on a hill that looks out over the city. Also there is El Templo de Debod, which was a gift from the Egyptians, in the middle of the park. It is really pretty and here are Leigh and I at the Temple.
Jeannette, Me, and Leigh with the view of the Palace and Cathedral behind us:
Then we went to La Rodilla, which is a restaurant that Luisa and Leigh's host mom had recommended. I ate the turkey and apple sandwich, which was good.
Then we hit up the delicious pastry shop that they have in Sol. Unfortunately they were out of chocolate croissants, but I got one that they called "glass" and it was really delicious. Not quite up to chocolate status but still one of the best that I've eaten. I will definitely be returning before leaving to get a chocolate one.
We decided to check out La Plaza Mayor and lo and behold we found this gem. Una Feria de Jamón. A ham fair. The Spaniards sure love their ham. This huge tent was filled with different vendors of ham and you could buy a plate to eat with some wine. We didn't buy anything, but I enjoyed seeing so many Spaniards enjoying their favorite delicacy.
Leigh and I in the feria, so excited about jamón!
Then we went to the stake center that is right next to the Temple in Madrid for a stake Halloween dance. The Temple looked beautiful all lit up at night!
Leigh, Jeannette and I dressed up as cats for the dance and we had a great time dancing the night away with the group. It was kind of funny because whenever they played an American song we would all go crazy dancing and everyone else would just watch us, then when they played a Spanish song, everyone else would start to dance and we would attempt to dance slash just watch them dance. It was great fun.
gatos en la estación del tren:






How funny is a ham festival?! Sounds very interesting! And you make a very cute cat:)
ReplyDelete